Long before community nurses became a familiar part of modern healthcare, nursing care in Newry was often delivered at the doors of local homes. From the late nineteenth century onwards, dedicated women travelled across the town and surrounding countryside to care for the sick, the elderly, mothers, children and families who might otherwise have had little access to professional medical help. Their work formed part of a wider story: the development of nursing as a profession, the growing public role of women, and the importance of community support in shaping local healthcare.
The Newry and Mourne Museum collection includes many items that record the contribution of local women to community life. Among these stories is the growth of district nursing, which began to develop through charitable organisations, religious orders and “provident schemes”. In Belfast, one early organisation was established in 1874 to provide trained nurses to “visit the industrious poor in their own homes and supply such ministrations as their care may require”.
These initiatives were influenced by William Rathbone, a wealthy Liverpool merchant who, from the 1860s, championed the importance of properly trained nurses working within local communities. In 1887, the Queen’s Jubilee Institute was established, providing a framework for the training, supervision and organisation of district nurses. District nursing societies across Ireland, including Newry, affiliated with the Institute, helping to establish professional standards for nurses working beyond the hospital ward.
Against this wider background, the Newry District Nursing Society was established in 1898. Managed by a Board of Governors, with Lady Constance, Countess of Kilmorey, as its first president, the society depended heavily on local generosity. Funding came through patronage, voluntary subscriptions and public fundraising events, making the service a true community undertaking, supported by the people of Newry and the surrounding district.
By 1906, a dedicated nurses’ home had been secured at Hyde Terrace. By 1913, the service was listed at 17 Kilmorey Street, providing both accommodation and a clinical base for the nurses whose work took them daily into homes across the area.
Miss Hicks was the first “Queen’s Nurse” appointed to the Newry District Nursing Society. The title was given to highly trained district nurses associated with the Queen’s Nursing Institute, sometimes known as “Jubilee” nurses. Local records note that in 1900–1901 the society held a formal presentation for Miss Hicks “on the occasion of her marriage”, marking the end of her pioneering service in the town. She was succeeded by Miss Hogg, a district nurse who transferred to Newry from Derry. Their work was demanding and often solitary: they travelled from house to house, sometimes across difficult rural terrain, providing professional care to patients who might otherwise have had little access to medical assistance.
The scale of need was considerable. The Newry Reporter of 10 March 1910 recorded that “no less than 507 cases were nursed during the past year, as compared to 393 in the previous year”, with 11,479 home visits made during that period. These figures give a vivid sense of the pressure on the service, and of the reliance placed on district nurses by local families.
District nurses also supported other local services when required. An excerpt from the Downpatrick Recorder of 6 May 1916 noted that “the district nurses at Banbridge, Newry… continue to render satisfactory service at the tuberculosis dispensaries in their districts”. Their role, therefore, extended beyond routine home visits and into wider public health work.
Behind the statistics were thousands of individual acts of care: elderly people treated in their own homes, mothers and children receiving nursing attention, patients recovering from illness, and families who relied on the district nurse when hospital care was unavailable, unaffordable or difficult to reach. For many households, the district nurse was the most accessible face of professional healthcare.
The demands on nurses increased considerably during the two World Wars. Women from the wider Newry and Mourne area served in military nursing roles, local emergency hospitals and community settings. Records show the growing demand for institutional healthcare, with admissions at nearby Newry General Hospital rising from 231 patients in 1919 to 813 by 1942. For district nurses, this meant heavier caseloads and greater calls on their time. They continued to travel from home to home, caring for vulnerable and poorer residents who might otherwise have struggled to obtain treatment. Resources and personnel were also affected by the war effort, while the traditional “marriage bar” further restricted the number of married women able to remain in professional nursing employment.
Among those remembered for their community service in the 1940s was Nurse Sarah Best, who served as a highly respected district nurse for twenty-five years in the Poyntzpass and upper Newry area before retiring in the late 1940s. Nurse Brigid Daly, later Nurse Longridge, worked as a district nurse in Forkhill during the wartime years. Living locally in the old barracks, she provided rural home care to families across the surrounding district. Nurse Margaret Anderson from Kilkeel, a highly decorated military nursing sister, was also an important organisational figure in the coordination of nursing care across the wider Newry and Mourne area.
The creation of the National Health Service from 1948 onwards transformed healthcare. District and community nursing increasingly came under statutory local authority control, with many nurses initially working from local hubs such as Daisy Hill Hospital. The Newry District Nursing Society, which had begun with modest resources, a small number of nurses, local fundraising and community generosity, was gradually incorporated into a more organised public health system. Its legacy, however, remains rooted in the dedication of the women who carried care into local homes, one visit at a time.


